cliveb;332881 Wrote:
> Unless things have changed, you'll just get a cable modem. You'll have
> to buy your own router.
>
> I've been on cable broadband (NTL, now Virgin) for several years and as
> a general rule it's pretty reliable. But unless you have a specific
> problem with your ADSL, I have to ask why you are thinking of changing.
> Quality of service from Virgin varies according to your geographic
> location. I'm supposedly on a 10Mb conection, but I've never seen
> download speeds higher than about 7Mb - it's usually around the 5-6
> mark. And I am led to believe that I'm in a fairly good area!
>
> Also, cable is even more asymmetric than ADSL: the technology simply
> isn't well suited to high upload rates. Upstream on Virgin 10MB is just
> 512kb (typically about 400kb in practice), so if you want to do a lot of
> uploading, think about that.

It is indeed Vrigin Media and the reason to change is if we move TV
services, phoneline, broadband and mobiles over we'll save £70/mth.

The chap I spoke to today said they provide the cable modem and a
wireless router which is plugged into the modem.  He then said it's a
DSL router as opposed to an ADSL router.

As per the original post my ADSL router is a powerful one and I'm
assuming the free Virgin one won't be.

If that's the case then my plan is to go cable > cable modem > DSL
router

Then NAS > ADSL router > SQB

But can I use the DSL router as the "internet connection" for the ADSL
router to get internet radio?

PS thanks for the tips on STM and upload speeds.  I'm not a heavy user
so that's adequate for me.

--
thekirbyfake