thekirbyfake;332900 Wrote:
> I will be provided with separate a cable modem and DSL router.  I don't
> want an all-in-one cable/router.
As far as I am aware, a standard Virgin installation does not include a
router, just a cable modem. This has a single ethernet output (and a USB
one for masochists). If Virgin are offering you a "DSL router", it'll
probably be a cheap wireless broadband router.

thekirbyfake;332900 Wrote:
> I can go and buy a stronger DSL router but I already have a fairly
> decent ADSL router which I was planning to continue using with my SQB
> set up.
Does your ADSL router have the option of an ethernet connection on the
WAN side? If it does, you may be in luck. But I've never seen one like
that - they normally have ONLY a phone line connection fo the WAN, and
that means you cannot use it as a router in a cable setup.

However, many wireless routers can be configured as a switch plus
access point (ie. ignoring the WAN side of the device). If your ADSL
router can do that, then you could get away with buying a very cheap
ethernet-only broadband router and use your ADSL router as the WAP. You
could probably pick up a secondhand Linksys BEFSR41 or similar for a
tenner. (Plug the WAN side of the ethernet router into the cable modem,
and connect one of the ADSL router's LAN ports to one of the ethernet
router's LAN ports - that basically just daisy-chains two switches).

That said, my recommendation would be to just bite the bullet and buy a
decent wireless ethernet router. Some of them can be upgraded with third
party firmware to further improve their facilities. I use a Buffalo
WHR-HP-G54 with Tomato firmware. It's rock-solid.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A