I,m using a Linksys WRT54GL with tomato 1.19 firmware.
Works splendidly.
No conections issues ever.
Never used stock firmware, as most consumer routers don't support wol
over internet with stock firmware, i wanted to able to boot my server
from the internet

Fixed IP's no DCHP at all:

Wireless Mode   Access Point
B/G Mode        G Only
Radio   Enabled
SSID    ******
Security        WPA2 Personal (PSK) + AES

I broadcast my SSID as there where a bug in the early FW in
controllerthat prevented contact without SSID broadcast.
That bug is fixed now, but one issue remains i can not switch off the
SSID broadcast, then I must tell the Controller to "forget" the network
and redo my settings. As you all know the SBC/SBR setup is very reliable
NOT ;-)
once it's working don't touch.

--
Mnyb