My first question would be, do you have a need for more then one
Squeezebox? If yes, then keep the Duet and buy a Classic.

rybber;343991 Wrote:
> Having used the duet for a couple of months has left me nothing but
> frustrated. I'm thinking about selling it and getting another classic,
> because of these annoyances:
>
> - When I feel like changing music, I often have to wait for the remote
> to connect or to power up.
This is part of the power saving feature. It is normal and yes a small
annoyance.
rybber;343991 Wrote:
> - Wireless range (reception) on the remote seems poor, so I'm often not
> able to reach the server.
Can you move your wireless router to a better spot to improve coverage?
How old is your wireless router? A simple update to a new router could
fix this. It could also be other WiFi networks interfering. Have your
tried using different channels? Have you checked to see what other
networks your computer can see and what channel they are on? Remember
the Duet is about a basic as WiFi gets. Being able to use a laptop in
the same location one wants to use a Controller does not mean the
Controller will work there also.
rybber;343991 Wrote:
> - The remote OS has substantial lag (often due to poor WiFi signal) and
> is therefore sluggish.
See answer above.
rybber;343991 Wrote:
> - The remote battery drains pretty fast. Like 3-4 days without using it
> much.
Try changing your power saving settings to improve battery life. Fixing
the reception issue will really help battery life by reducing WiFi
useage.
rybber;343991 Wrote:
> - When the remote battery is dead, placing it in the charger doesn't
> seem to charge it - I need to turn it on first.
Check your settings, this is not normal.

rybber;343991 Wrote:
> So all in all I feel the duet is a major downgrade from a usability
> point of view. Occasionally having to lift my butt to get into
> line-of-sight range with the old remote seems preferable to me.
>
> Am I doing the right thing or have I comepletely missed out on how
> "good" the duet really is?
At present I would probably feel the same way with your problems. Most
of this should go away and give you a good Duet experience if you can
improve your WiFi enviroment.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5