Thanks for the quick replies. It's derived from SuSE 10.0 on x86-64, but
I've made various source updates since then preferring to do that than
stick rigidly to RPMs, particularly when Novel sometimes push out bogus
builds (e.g. their PHP 5.1.2 build).

I did just install GD and got past the first issue but there are some
other problems, and again, any ideas would be welcome.

First there was a problem with Encode::Detect::Detector so I commented
out that in Unicode.pm, and now I get

Useless use of a constant in void context at
/home/nick/squeezecenter-7.2/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 129 and
a warning about Template::Stash::XS not found. I can probably fix that,
however when I try to connect from a web browser I get

Slim::Networking::IO::Select::select (250) Error: Select task failed:
Can't call method "process" on an undefined value at
/home/nick/squeezecenter-7.2/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 2406.

and also a checksum error on jive_7.2_r2873.bin that I'd seen mentioned
elsewhere a few days ago when reading about the Duet.

Any ideas on the connection issue? I pretty much used the defaults when
building Perl 5.10, but perhaps there's a build related option or
setting that's important.

And one other issue, the Duet controller says that there's an update
but then fails to obtain it. Any ideas on that one? It does have 7.2
r2873 so maybe there isn't really any update?

--
ioncube