mherger;347100 Wrote:
> > Having just installed 7.3 on a Windows box and run through the
> > configuration wizard could I suggest that the default behaviour of
> > initiating a scan become optional - for many of us this initial scan
> is
> > an utter waste of time because we're going to change SC's behaviour
> > through configuration settings that will in turn initiate a
> rescan...so
> > why force us into a redundant scan?
>
> If this is the case, then we probably should re-think the default
> settings instead. What prefs do you need to change?

For one, the setting that does not group discs in a multi-disc set.
Always seemed to be an unusual default to me.  And changing it (last
time I checked) requires a full rescan of the library.  That's the one
that always drove me nuts if I didn't catch it and allowed the initial
scan to complete.  Then I'd see strange library album totals and
realize that I need to scan the library all over again.

But I don't think changing the defaults is going to solve this
particular problem, because someone else will want different library
settings.

How about adding one more step in the wizard, similar to the last step
in many installers?  Have a dialog that say

[x] Begin scanning my library now.

Most users will just press the 'Next' (or 'Finish') button and scan
away.  But it would also give more experienced users the option to
avoid the scan.

--
JJZolx

Jim