orenb wrote:
> thing-fish;352136 Wrote:
>
>> I just did get a second Squeezebox and was amazed that their sync is
>> perfect, even when using Rhapsody content over-the-internet.
>>

> If the SB3 hardware can do it, then why can't a good sound card? I'm
> not happy about spending hundreds of dollars just to be able to get my
> PC to sync properly.

The problem is that lots of software and drivers cause delays. I've been
playing with some music software and virtual synths recently and an
unavoidable problem with those is latency, very short delays between the
time that you press a key on the (music) keyboard and when the sound
appears. This is not a problem when playing music - that's why a
standard PC system doesn't bother minimizing latency, but it becomes a
big annoyance when you're playing the piano or guitar over the PC. Or,
when you're trying to sync an SB with a PC.

The best solution is to use a sound card (or sound interface) that has
ASIO drivers. These drivers bypass most of the Windows/Mac sound driver
layers and access the hardware directly so that the latency is as small
as possible. Using ASIO an acceptable latency of 3 of 4 ms is possible
on fast systems. Of course SB's have a latency of their own, so to get
perfect sync you should probably be able to tune the latency on the PC,
that's possible with most ASIO drivers. You can adjust the latency.

I haven't really tried it, but I have my PC soundcards (AC97 and M-Audio
Transit) as well as an SBR connected to a mixer, so I could do some
tests to see if I can get the SBR and SoftSqueeze on the PC to get
synced perfectly. I wouldn't need it myself (I have 7 SD devices) but it
could be interesting to find out.

Regards,
Peter