peter;354146 Wrote:
> So, pure software RAID (Like Linux MD or
> Windows software RAID) definitely has its advantages.

We're probably getting off topic here, but in my experience with
Windows software RAID, it is a combination of epic fail and big bag of
hurt. I don't even like to think about it, because it gives me the
heebie jeebies. I've no experience with Linux and software RAID, but
it'd be easy for me to believe that it works much better.

I agree with your point though - you will need the same RAID controller
to read the disks in likely anything outside of a RAID1 implementation.
If you buy mass market hardware with RAID capabilities (like a Dell/LSI
SAS/PERC controller) you'll be able to get it (at likely great expense)
for quite some time. Other hardware...yeah, probably not so much.

For reals - is the OP even considering RAID, or am I just proving how
much of a loser I am? :-)

--
androidtopp

My SB3 is the most expensive part of my stereo. So I'm not going to brag
about it.
And my SBB as well...Is it wrong that my alarm clock is worth more than
most of my stereo components? I need to work on that.

http://www.last.fm/user/androidtopp