I can't recall how I installed LAME, but I know it worked automatically.
But I've taken a look at the current iTunes-Lame item. I think it might
have changed from earlier versions, and may work differently.

Anyway, if you "Show Package Contents" on it, you will find lame in the
Resources folder. Copy lame somewhere useful, and all should be ok.

What do I mean by "somewhere useful"? The installer I used put it in
/usr/local/bin, and all seems to work fine for me, but there are some
advantages (and also disadvantages) in putting it in /usr/bin.

/usr is normally invisible, but can be reached using the Go To Folder
item in the Finder menu.

--
danco