Thanks for all the ideas.

The MAC address matches the sticker on the bottom of the unit.

I haven't taken any special steps to open up remote access. While
troubleshooting this issue I happened to check the Security section of
SqueezeCenter settings (which I hadn't been to before) and saw that
"Block Incoming Connections" was set to "Do Not Block", so I rectified
that and also set a strong password. No joy...a couple days later the
receiver renamed itself again.

Any other thoughts? Anybody with knowledge of the code know of a log
setting I could use to see if the renames are coming from
SqueezeCenter?

--
NordicSeattle