egd;357682 Wrote:

> 1 question - who introduced mandatory pension schemes and wrote the
> rules around pension funds and 401K's and equivalents - governments or
> companies?

So you don't think I'm pulling your string, let me add that there are
tax rules (not labor or company law rules) that can apply IF a company
wants to deduct set-asides (and avoid individual taxation) before they
are paid out. Those are conditions for a tax deduction. The tax
deduction rules are pretty logical, and do not prevent a company from
suspending a plan and withdrawing future support, at any time.
Companies are free to not comply with the tax rules, there are no
penalties other than they just get a less favorable result.

If a company doesn't want to prefund and deduct, it is welcome to
establish, dis-establish, change, withdraw, etc., future retirement
arrangements as a contractural matter (with employees) at will. Many
companies have such arrangements, and the legal constraints are very
few.

--
Goodsounds