Ty Bower wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies. That confirms what I had already suspected.
> I'll get my hands on a remote one way or another.
>
> My laptop has an IR port. It's too bad there is no "universal remote
> emulator" software I could run to send the necessary commands out the
> laptop's IR port.

Holy smokes, if you really want to you can download the SB remote codes
from the JP1 site: hifi-remote.com and program a $20 RadShack remote.

The catch?  You will probably need to spend $30 (+$5shipping) on a JP1.3
USB programmer built by a member of the JP1 development community. You
can find the device for sale at the same site. You will also have to
invest some time understanding the processes (probably several hours).
I'll be honest, this last bit is the tough part.

What you get once you get it working?  Practically and endless supply of
$10 to $50 dollar remotes that you can program as if they were those $80
$120 fancy programmable remotes.

---

BTW, your lap top probably has an IrDA port (fast).  Remotes are usually
ASK (distance).  Apples and Oranges I'm afraid.