I managed to find time to do take a couple of traces. However I hit a
major stumbling block in that Wireshark (Ethereal) can only see packets
destined for the network that the machine it's installed on (with
Wireshark in promiscuous mode).

So taking a trace on the SC server (or wireless laptop) didn't pick up
some of the conversations which makes diagnosis pretty hard. I guess
you'd need a wireless router that was capable of a packet snoop
facility to see everything. Maybe OpenWRT etc.? (Mine won't run it)
Anyone hacked a SB yet? ;-)

What I did see on the wireless trace after a SB reboot was:

SB - DHCP discover broadcast
router - DHCP offer
SB - DHCP req for its old ip address
router - DHCP ACK
SB - ARP for SC server on its ip address
This all looks normal.

Then no more traffic seen (as it's between SB and router/SC) and I
didn't have a corresponding trace going on the SC server - plus I
didn't fancy trying to merge the two!

One other observation is that when my router has crashed and after a
reboot, the SB and receiver's ip addresses usually alter (within the
DHCP range), however the controller's stays the same. This shouldn't
matter of course but normally DHCP-allocated ip addresses stay sticky
even after reboots. I can't recall the exact reasons for this though

mr-b