Lesu;362873 Wrote:
> Well, the last time I looked, the UK was in western Europe and I think
> we qualify as developed, but I don't know of a normal household with 3
> phase supply. 3 phase is normally restricted to factories and
> workshops.

Well... I am confident you have it but it's invisible, you have just
the regular UK 1-phase outlets in the house. But the cable coming into
the house will most probably be 3-phase and enter a box that has 3
busbars, one for each phase. You will probably have multiple 16A
breakers and if you have more than a couple, they will be spread over
the 3 phases. So yes, you could make a true 3-phase power by running
extension cords from different outlets in the house and just using the
hot-wires from each. I shouldn't have told this... don't play with it
if you're not sure what you are doing.

Also, many homes in the UK will have electric stoves, ovens or
waterheaters that use 3-phase power. When you call the electrician for
making an outlet for them, he will open the box to the three busbars
and pull the wiring from it, no need to dig up the cable...

The reason they do the 3-phase is that the neighborhood-transformers
are 3-phase and they want to balance the load not just over the
neighborhood but within each house.

cheers,
Nick.

--