I suspect that this is a subject that might stir up, shall we say, a
little controversy, so I shall tread carefully (and may end up sitting
on the fence, which is a very difficult combination!!).

(1) You're absolutely right. The UI of, say, iTunes is much slicker and
easier to use than the Slimserver web UI.  Though we should pause to
note the various alternative skins which make SS look prettier, not
sure if you've tried those.  But they are after all just skins, and are
limited in what they can add.

As a simple test, I can't get anyone else in my house to use the SS UI,
though they are all happy with iTunes and find it intuitive.

(2) On the other hand, iTunes runs only on Windows and Mac ... and
there's a reason for that, it takes a lot of effort to keep a fully
functioning app going on an OS.  Its an essential feature of SS that it
will run on almost anything, which pretty much dictates a
lowest-common-denominator browser based interface.  Sure, someone could
write a fancy UI as an alternative for just (say) Windows but you're
then getting into first- and second- class customers which may not be a
great place to go.

(3) You've noted the advanced functionality, I'd also add the
openness... there is a link between these! The functionality (and all
those fabulous plugins) stem from the open source approach, which is
much harder to do with something in the iTunes style.

Much as I'd like to have everything, my personal suspicion is that it
may not be possible: there is (as in most things in life) a tradeoff to
be made between (openness/rapid development/rich functionality) and
(slick/closed).  Slim have picked a place and I'm happy to be there
with them.

Just a thought....

Ceejay

--