sgmlaw;366997 Wrote:
> The MediaMVP running GBPVR costs next to nothing
> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116008&Tpk=mediamvp)(GBPVR
> is FREE) and can play standard resolution video over LAN with no
> problems whatsoever.  With a decent tuner/capture card, you've got a
> solid PVR.  The trick is having a strong server system.
>
> I run ours through a modulator into our TV distribution system.  With
> an RF remote kit (http://www.nextgenerationhomeproducts.com/), we have
> a private HDD-based video library that you access and watch on every TV
> in the house over Ch 123.

I've been running GBPVR for 3 years now - excellent software & great
WAF.   The commercial skip abilities alone are worth the price of
admission.

We have two MVP's running MVPMC for distribution to other TVs in the
house (in fact, one of them is getting ready to be a client bridge off
a SB2 to see how well that works).

The MVP does great with SD playback - it's got a hardware MPEG2
decoder.  The menus with GBPVR are a touch laggy, but it's mostly
related to the server PC because w/GBPVR the menus are actually an MPEG
stream from the server.   For whoever was saying formats were a problem,
I believe GBPVR can transcode, but I've never done it, all my video is
either recorded or live TV from my hardware encoder.

There's a pretty active community of GBPVR users with Popcorn Hour
devices - may be worth checking out the forum if you're needing more
than the MVP will do.

I've heard that MythTV is a bear to get & keep working, even for
seasoned *nix guys - be aware of that if you decide to try that route.

--
86atc250r