MrSinatra;368640 Wrote:

> i'm surprised no one else is commening, but your view seems tilted
> negative without cause...
>
> i don't think logitech would have bought it IF they weren't committed
> to it.
>
> and i wouldn't be surprised if there are plans to have it support video
> one day.  logitech is a computer accessories company, and i can't see
> them going back to an "in house" way, b/c i think they realized their
> in house way paled in comparison to the slim way.

I don't think the question is if Logitech is committed. There's
definitely a reason why Logitech bought SlimDevices and I'm pretty sure
some of the main reasons are that they believe in the products and that
they were interested in the open source development philosophy.

However, the question here isn't really if Logitech is committed, the
question is if the original SlimDevices employees and founders are
interested in continuing on the Logitech road or if they like a
completely new challenge. I haven't seen any indication yet regarding
missing commitment to the product, but I have seen a difference in the
interaction with the development community.

The interaction with the development community has definitely changed
since the Logitech purchase, from my point of view a lot more stuff
happens behind closed doors today compared to before the Logitech
purchase. Although, the reason for this might not actually be the
Logitech purchase, it could also be that there are more employees today
and that the roles among the lead developers are different today than
before. It shall also be said that I'm not sure this is a bad thing for
the company, it's just one of the things that are different today
compared to before.

I think Logitech bought both the products but most importantly I also
think a main reason was that they were interested in the development
philosophy used. This also makes me think that Logitech wants the
original employees and founders to remain, because if the original
employees and founders are lost there is a huge risk that the
development philosophy and community also is lost in the process. So
the real risk as I see it is if the original employees and founders
doesn't feel like continuing working under Logitech.

I'm pretty sure the intention was to make this work and probably still
is, so I don't think we should be worrying yet. There were a lot of
people worrying directly after the purchase that everything was going
to be lost, but I think most arguments form these has so far been
proven to be wrong. The fact that most new developers earlier was part
of the community is also a good thing, from my point of view this is an
indication that Logitech really wants the open source development
philosophy to continue. I'm pretty sure we would see a lot of changes
among the employees if Logitech suddenly would decide to end the open
source development and start a closed source direction, fortunately
there is no indication that they plan to do this so far.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) 'My download page'
(http://erland.isaksson.info/download)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library and Database Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))