andynormancx;370841 Wrote:

> The new native iPeng shouldn't have this restriction, though of course
> it will have to provide its own flac decoder so it can play back flac
> files.

I'm not sure whether I have understood this correctly, but this would
be iPeng connecting to Squeezecenter, pulling down/streaming the actual
FLAC file and decoding it on the iPod, rather than doing transcoding on
the server?

If it is the first would Apple allow a FLAC decoder in an app? I would
have thought if they did there would be a large number of
FLAC/Ogg/other players like this by now (maybe there are?). I would
have thought Apple would turn this down for the same reason that it
turned down podcaster etc claiming that it duplicates functionality on
the ipod (well actually just to protect their monopoly, but you know
where I'm coming from).

--
robroe