I have a Squeezebox (1st version) that suffers from random music
dropouts of many seconds. It's over WiFi, and I've always blamed
the access point.  It's not at all reproducable, I'm afraid - there
are times when the buffer display just goes to empty and the music
stops.

I recently tried running the slimserver with a nice of -4, which
seems to help a lot. I didn't notice the buffer going to empty.
But I still got dropouts ... and when I looked, the display was
frozen, not responding to the IR remote at all.

I suppose it could still be the WiFi freezing - are the remote
commands handled by the box or the server? - but I also witnessed
a fair number of player reboots when it got bad. It would reboot,
try to get to the access point, make it to 10 in the countdown
and reboot again...

Sigh.