Quick and dirty testing results:

I pulled down the first 3 HD files from here:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/hd/index.html

Night Launch of STS-126.  Actually, I am glad I went looking for HD
content - my dad and I were on the causeway to view this launch, so I'm
pretty happy to have found some really good footage.  :-)

PCH A-100 (I have the old model, not the 110) - Handled the 480p and
1080i files without any noticeable problems.  The 720p file stuttered
early on and I noticed the bitrate spiked to over 27Mbps briefly during
the jerkiness.  No dropouts and no black frames due to trying to
recover.

AppleTV - 480p no issues, 1080i and 720p were visibly degraded or jerky
during anything over 8+Mbps

Hope this is helpful, but may not have provided a clear winner for you.
It looks like if you need HD, the ATV isn't going to make you happy,
but if your content is DVD ISO and DIVX, it's a clearer choice for now.

--
twylie

Thecus N5200 -> transporter -> Krell KRC2 -> 4 x nuforce 8b -> Von
Schweikert VR-4 Gen III

Thecus N5200 -> SB3 -> Monarchy DIP -> Monarchy Super DIP -> Monarchy
18b -> AES 845 monos -> Sonus Faber Concertos / Audio Physic Sparks