spc337;380734 Wrote:
> I'm installing a Squeezebox in my loft and would like to have 3 pairs of
> speakers that can be individually controlled (i.e. Volume, On/Off).  I
> don't need to have different sources play on different speakers
> simultaneously, just a single (SB3) source.
>
> Does anyone have an Pre-Amp/Amplifier/Receiver (and/or Power Speakers)
> Suggestion?
>
> Thanks
Can you run speaker cable through the walls and make holes for
wall-mounted volume controls, or do you need a more "non-invasive"
installation? If you can tear into things, then a hefty amp and 3
impedence-matching in-wall volume controls would be a good way to go.
The amp can be a multi-room amp that specifically supports 3 pairs of
speakers, or you could use a conventional amp and wire the speakers in
series, paying careful attention to the load/impedence that the amp
will support.

How far apart are the rooms? A potential problem with powered speakers
is that they will typically get a line-level output from the SB to the
speaker. Ordinary line level is unbalanced, and if you run line level
cable any distance you have a high probability of picking up
interference, usually a humming sound. You could possibly avoid the
interference with properly shieled cables, or use baluns to transfer
the line level signal over balanced cable like cat5.

--
aubuti