Pat Farrell wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>
>> I think the biggest problem with this is that the SC software is written
>> in Perl and requires a whole OS (and DBMS) underneath
>> it
>>

> That is not a "problem" its a feature. Something has to be the OS and

It's a feature in PC/server setups and a problem in NAS and embedded
setups.

> then you add the application on it. Perl is not the problem, but if you
> want to argue that dead horse, the developer's forum section is the
> proper place.

Oh, I thought anything was game in this forum. We were discussing
politics not long ago ;)

Maybe I'll start an anti Hamas-thread. See how that goes ;)

>> lots of fairly powerful mini-stuff available judging the netbook craze.
>>

> My kid just got a $440 EEE netbook that except for the disk size, is far
> more capable than SC needs. While the SC software needs today what was
> considered a lot of RAM, in today's market, it needs about $30 worth of
> it. (a gig, or so, the $440 EEE has 2GB and has far more speed than is
> needed.)
>
> If you look at the specs of the Controller (bundled in the Duet) it is a
> hand held computer comperable to desktops of not many years ago. And
> those desktops cost several grand late last century. Moore's law has
> done amazing things.

You're making my point.
> If it had disks, an iPhone could probably run SqueezeCenter.

It might be able to run it, but probably not well.

Regards,
Peter