I guess I must be lucky: every time I've had the "must reboot for
updates to take effect" message, it hasn't come with a threat to reboot
by default if I do nothing (on any of the WinXP boxes I use).  So to
stop it from popping up every 10 minutes, I shove the little bastard
over to the edge of the screen so only a tiny sliver is showing, and
leave it there until I'm ready. (Sometimes I leave it like that for
several days).

Even so, I actually wince whenever the "updates are ready to download"
balloon pops up.  It's even more annoying than the one that tells me
whether or not I have a wireless connection (given that it's usually
bloody obvious).

I don't want to disable update checks completely, but it's nice to find
a way to stop the reminder.

-- Brian

--
Brian Ritchie