MeSue;397731 Wrote:
> The 7.3.x and 7.4 betas have the WHS installer (MSI file extension). I
> have been running 7.4 beta for a while and it is very stable. If you
> don't want to run a beta, there are some good instructions for
> installing the old way (exe file) on the ripcaster site.
>
> There is currently a bug in the WHS installer where it will list every
> version in the "installed add-ins" list unless you uninstall via the
> console before installing each update.  If you don't update often, it
> shouldn't be a big deal to do it that way.
>
> With the WHS installer, you also get a Squeezecenter tab in the console
> which allows you to start/stop SC, run cleanup tasks, and a few other
> things.
>
> You may want to read this thread for details:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=397678
>
> Enjoy the HP MediaSmart. One thing to keep in mind, if you plan to use
> the PVConnect (Twonky server) that comes with the HP server, you will
> want to set Squeezecenter to use a different port. I tried running
> Twonky on a different port, but never could get it to work right, and
> ended up removing Twonky.
>
> Couldn't you still use your Netgear as backup for the MSS? Unless you
> plan to re-purpose the hard drives, of course.

Thanks so much for the info. I am looking forward to diving in this
weekend.

As for the Ready NAS NV - it was always a little slow and problematic
for me. At least half the time my backups ended up having issues. So I
figured I would just update and re-purpose the disks. I am going to pop
the empty nas with the gb of ram on ebay - if I get $200 I'll be happy
for the year and a half of use I got out of it

--
brdbointx