Not to hijack this thread, but I'm interested in doing this as well and
have a couple of questions.

First, can someone provide a link to the applyreplaygain.pl script?  I
couldn't find it on robinbowes.com, as suggested.  I couldn't find it
anywhere on slimdevices.com (wiki, plugins, etc.).  I got a lot of hits
with Google, but none to this actual script.  The closest I came was
another Perl script called flaculance.pl, which looks like it does
something similar, but I'd really like to try the suggested one if
possible.

Second:
> It's worth noting that a lot of people (myself included) find that even
> when playing random, individual tracks, album gain is the best setting
> to use.
>
> Track gain makes the loudest point of each track equal. This means that
> the loudest part of e.g an acoustic guitar track will be the same as the
> loudest point of a full-on hardcore techno track. Personally I find this
> sounds odd, and album gain gives a more natural volume levelling.
This is a good point.  Since I haven't tried any replay gain methods
yet I can't say for sure if it applies to my listening tastes, but I
can certainly see the point.  So, assuming I wanted to try album gain
instead is there any way to apply it to a bunch of flac albums at once?
Or am I missing the point about what the applyreplaygain.pl script
does?

Lastly, assuming I eventually find the script and run it against my
collection, then find that I don't like the results is there any way to
mass-undo the changes, or do I simply turn of the Smartgain setting in
SC?

TIA,
John

--