soxfan-
Won't answer all your questions, but I'll try to answer a few:
Don't know how to find the script listed... but there are other methods
for setting the REPLAYGAIN tags - I did mine using mp3tag, which you
should be able to find on the net via a google search.
In squeezecenter, you can choose to use album gain, track gain, smart
gain, or no volume adjustment (I believe this is set for each player).
Smart gain simply chooses album gain or track gain depending on the
makeup of the current playlist.  It's easy to switch between them.
As stated above, you can choose to turn off this function in
squeezecenter.  The gain settings for each album and track are stored
in the tags - the actual music isn't changed at all. (One exception:
there are methods for adjusting the actual FILES to adjust the gain - I
believe this is only ever done on MP3's, but you should definitely AVOID
that approach... I believe that's for people who want volume
normalization between tracks on a player which doesn't support the
REALPLAY tags - such as most portable MP3 players.)

--
tcutting