Not to state the obvious, but one solution that many people use would be
to have two folders, one with your flacs and a duplicate folder with the
music in a lossy format (using high quality setting) for your car and
portable players. Lossy files produce sound from such hardware that
most people, even picky ones, find to be quite acceptable. Keeping
lossless files to play in a car seems like overkill to me.

Some software will rip both lossless and lossy to different folders in
one pass. Converting folders from one format to another is easily done
in batch jobs. "Set it and forget it", as the guy on the infomercial
says.

I use the two folder approach, and I find it to be quite useful with
minimal effort required. Drive storage is cheap, so that is no issue.
With your squeeze system, keeping your lossless files in a format with
disadvantages and no significant advantages is a shame.

--
Goodsounds