Goodsounds;410552 Wrote:
> Not to state the obvious, but one solution that many people use would be
> to have two folders, one with your flacs and a duplicate folder with the
> music in a lossy format (using high quality setting) for your car and
> portable players. Lossy files produce sound from such hardware that
> most people, even picky ones, find to be quite acceptable. Keeping
> lossless files to play in a car seems like overkill to me.
>
> Some software will rip both lossless and lossy to different folders in
> one pass. Converting folders from one format to another is easily done
> in batch jobs. "Set it and forget it", as the guy on the infomercial
> says.
>
> I use the two folder approach, and I find it to be quite useful with
> minimal effort required. Drive storage is cheap, so that is no issue.
> With your squeeze system, keeping your lossless files in a format with
> disadvantages and no significant advantages is a shame.

I can't tell the difference on my Zune but I can in my car as crazy as
that sounds.  Not much road noise in my car.

My collection is approaching 2TB of lossless.  So a second lame -c0
collection does actually make the disc situation more complicated than
it needs to be.  My lossless collection grows by 10GB a week at least.

--
Jeff Flowerday