gharris999;401395 Wrote:
> What's your sense of how well MusicIP works with classical music?  I've
> been curious about this but have yet to devote the time to get it
> running on my server.  I'm guessing that with 1T worth of flacs with
> more than 125 days of play time, the "finger printing" processing time
> would be a pretty serious investment.  Is there any way to "finger
> print" a given flac at rip time?  Or does the entire collection need to
> be printed in one go?
>
> I guess what I'm asking is this: is there a musicip tag that can
> calculated and then stored in the file which musicip could subsequently
> read for its db?  I already calculate windows disc id and cddb ids for
> CDs as part of my ripping script..and these tags end up in the
> cuesheet.  Is there a command-line utility to fingerprint a single file
> and output the print value?

Gordon,
I use MIP all the time and about 1/3rd of my music is classical.
I feel there are a couple of limitations on MIPs ability with classical
music, the first is that MIP only analyzes the first 30 seconds of a
track, so if there is a long intro then the "musical fingerprint" may
be misleading (this applies to all music but is more noticeable with
classical), the second is that most symphonies are a musical story from
the first movement to the last and I like listening from start to
finish. However, if you want to make an adagio mix or a Bach mix or a
romantic piano mix then MIP is great (providing your seed track is well
picked).
I recommend that you make a subset of your library on a test system,
somewhere in the vicinity of 1000 tracks with a fair bit of variety,
let MIP analyze and store its analysis and try a few mixes, varying the
mix parameters and seed songs. From this you should be able to get an
idea of the time it will take to analyze your 1Tb library, and of the
usefulness of MIP to your listening.
I run MIP from the GUI, I've never bothered with setting it up
headless, the server sits under the stairs and I use VNC when I have to
talk to it. Another plus for MIP is you can run the Spicefly sugarcube
plugin.

--
Wirrunna

A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.