snarlydwarf;416427 Wrote:
> Very different: to the point I don't see a reason to bother with
> computer video storage.
>
> How often do I watch a given movie?  I wonder at myself sometimes as to
> why I buy movies instead of renting: renting is almost surely a better
> bargain...
>
> How often would I have 'random play' or anything like it that would
> need good indexing and 'always online' availablility.  Knowing roughly
> where the cd is seems to work pretty well.
>
> Would I lose DVD navigation features?  For some discs this would
> destroy them (say Icky Flix or the Commercial DVD by The
> Residents...).
>
> I just don't see what computer-stored video gives you that a DVD
> doesn't... in fact, I see drawbacks when the menu structure is stripped
> out.

I see your point for how you live, view, and think of movies. But
others of us live and watch differently. For myself, I watch 600 to 750
movies a year. I enjoy movies and I have a nice media room to watch them
in (the neighbors like to call me up saying they just got the latest
movie and they are bringing the Pizza). So not messing with DVDs and
cases would be nice just as Slim Devices has removed the pain of CD
cases.

But there is the point that some only watch a movie once, as for me, if
its a good movie I have seen it 5 or 6 times.

So I would like to see SD do something with video. But again, that's
just me.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
House Portable: SB3, Audioengine A5
Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
Expedition: SB3, ToughBook