Now, I can kind of understand if you just have cash burning a hole in
your pocket and want this problem to go away by throwing cash at it,
but maybe you're a little like me and "It's about the journey".  If
you're a little technical and can enjoy the challenge of learning
something new with a huge pay-off after a couple of days of effort,
then you need to look into something called "JP-1".

The JP-1 Project has succeeded in making it so "the average tinkerer
can produce a single remote control for all their devices".  Take a
look at this $20 remote available from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000069K8N/ref=pd_cps_e_1/002-0229469-5077609?v=glance&s=electronics

Keep in mind that the fundamental limitation of this remote is that
there are 8 "banks" of functions for each button.  If you can imagine a
way to assign the device functions you want to the 400 or so buttons,
you can almost certainly make it happen by using the JP-1 connector and
the software developed by the "JP-1 Project", and a few days of effort.

My remote, actually the predecessor of that one, has  EVERY function
for my TV, CD Player, VCR, Receiver, Squeeze Box, and almost every
function from my DVD player.  With absolutely no functions missing, the
rest of the remotes go into a drawer never to be seen again.

I had my remote die after sitting on it one too many times, and within
15 minutes of getting another identical remote (Remember, $20, you
could have 10 on hand for the cost of a Harmony remote) I was back to
the same setup.

Here's a few pointers for more info:

http://www.gunsmoke.com/scot/home_automation/jp1.html
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml
http://www.home-electro.com/jp1.php
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/thewhatandwhyofjp1.html

Or if that's not good enough, you can find lots of info with google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=jp1+remote-control

--
tifster