My issue here is not that I need to replace this particular SB3 as I
already have.  It actually failed around the 2 year mark and that means
basic cost of ownership was around £100 per annum.

I expected it to last longer.

Now, the law (which I didn't define) states that the supplier, not
manufacturer is liable if the goods fail in an unreasonable length of
time.

I admit I have had some benefit from the product, so I'm not expecting
a full refund, but I would accept compensation for future loss of
enjoyment from the product.  So if we expect an SB3 to last 5 years and
it died after 2, then an amount of compensation for the remaining years
seems reasonable.  Else they could finance the repair of it.

Cliveb makes an excellent point and in the long run, this shift in
power back to the consumer may result in better quality goods in the
long run.  They don't make things like they used to :)

By the way, the state of the world economy is not my responsibility. I
already pay in excess of £30k a year tax which goes to support the
millions of useless pen-pushing administrators in the non-productive
government offices.  Don't get me started ;)

--
Gooner