Goodsounds;429351 Wrote:
> The law is whatever is enacted. We have a lot of laws that are puzzling
> to some people too. How about the remnants of prohibition and the blue
> laws that still exist in the US? Complete nonsense.
>
> American civil law tends to be a bit more hands-off and what may be
> described as perhaps less paternal than what is found in Europe. There's
> a lot of national legislation that is mandated by the EU (I don't know
> whether the case for this or not, but no matter). We look that way and
> scratch our heads over what they do and they look back at us and do the
> same thing.

The current version of the Sale of Goods Act was amended by the Sale
and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, which implements an
EU Directive.  It may seem a bit odd, except of course that the free
movement of goods within the EU is a fundamental premise.  It makes
sense (at least to me) that if goods have to move freely for the benefit
of consumers then those consumers should be granted the same standard of
protection across those member states.  And the prior standard varied
greatly across member countries (from min of 1 year in the UK up to 10
years for certain types of goods in France and Germany, I believe).

--
Siduhe

Who am I on 'LAST.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/siduhe)?
"-Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah,
it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho...-" (c) 'ModelCitizen'
(http://www.last.fm/user/Modelcitizen)
Oh yeah, I'm giving 'Twitter' (http://twitter.com/Siduhe) a try - and
surprising myself how many interesting people are out there...