I've had the HDX-1000 for a few months and I agree with the consensus
that the interface is nothing special, but it does what it says, plays
pretty much anything you throw at it.  It is wonderful for playing back
hi-def video projects and home movies and I also have my DVD collection
ripped to XviD files for simple and easy playback.  220 movies takes up
only 315 GB.

I also love how nice my photos look on an HDTV through the HDX.  The
memory card slot is a great feature, too.  It reads my 16GB SD cards
with no problems.  And I really like the physical design of the HDX.
For less than $300 it's an impressive-looking little box.  With no hard
drive installed, it runs cool and quiet.  But I also like the idea I can
throw a 1TB drive in there, and take all my media with me.

I have messed around a little with running some of the other http
interfaces for the HDX on my linux server.  As these mature I'll
probably get more serious about adopting one.  The HDX is nifty hardware
for the money, but the firmware and 3rd-party software are still
catching up.  In that way it's a lot like the Squeezebox.  You get cool
hardware with a constant stream of new feature and enhancements.  Well
worth the money for what you get, I fear this type of device will be a
thorn in the side of music-only streamers like the SB.

--
Pale Blue Ego