Johan wrote:

>My friends (all major tech geeks all of them) is reluctant since they
do not want to have a pc running all the time (noise, electricity bills
etc etc). To the majority
>of potential customers the threshold is exactly there - having to set
up a computer to be always on. This is not an obstacle to most of us
here...but for normal people
>it is.

Fair comment.  Although it truly is shame that this should be an
obstacle :(  In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't take much setting
up (to build a "headless" server) and it doesn't use up all that much
electricity.  And it can be easily arranged to have a server somewhere
it won't be in the way or be a disturbance - particularly on a wireless
LAN.  (e.g. my server is basically in the shed outside).  It's a shame
that more people don't realise this :(

>Therefore - bundling with Linksys/Buffalo Linkstation or other
NAS-devices having built in Linux and storage capacity is a way to
circumvent this problem.

Very true indeed, and it may tempt some people.  But I'd say that if a
user thought that setting up and maintaining a server was a bit of a
hassle, they'd most likely feel the same way about setting up and
configuring/maintaining a Linkstation with built-in Linux.  Or, maybe
not...  I guess Knoppix might be an option - Slim Devices could
distribute a complete, ready-configured OS on a CD for each major
release.  Then any technophobes would simply have to turn the PC on (and
boot from CD) to have SS up and running within a couple of minutes.  For
those users that found it easy to use, they could perhaps migrate to a
non-Knoppix build, which could be configurable by the end user.

It would probably be a fair bit of work for slim devices though.  That
would ultimately push the cost up and might put off as many people as it
persuaded :(