Thanks all for the hints.

This is what I did:

1. Installed the latest 7.3.4. beta (r27392).

2. Switched usb port for the usb disc containing the bulk of the music
files and removed on usb thing that I do not use. - I also checked that
the usb disc did not need defragmentation.

3. Disabled MusicIP.

4. In CustomScan I set all custom scans to Manual, i.e. disabled them.

5. I considered to not cache the album artwork, but decided to keep the
caching since I enjoy my album artwork. (My album artwork is often very
large - 1400x1400 or so - and perhaps the resampling is taken a long
time?)

6. Restarted the PC.

7. I changed my music folder from an unc path to a local path (but
first I did the same for the shortcut in the music folder). That
triggered a wipe and rescan.

The rescan is under way now and I will report the result when it has
finished...

--
vagskal