peterw;441694 Wrote:

> Do those apps play music in the background? As far as I've read, the
> iPhone/iPod Touch SDK still does not allow third-parties to write
> background apps, and that means the *best* you can hope for is the
> ability to listen to SqueezeCenter music while doing nothing else with
> the phone (as you suggested in March --
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=407686&postcount=857). That
> would be truly lame, and neither Microsoft nor Google place such
> restrictions on their smartphone platforms.

I agree that's a limitation.
However, it's my experience that this is actually not a "lame" decision
but one that makes this phone work.
I have tried quite a few smartphones and coming from that business side
I've looked into quite a few others. All, without exception, but the
iPhone soon run into trouble as soon as you have severall apps running.
They get slow, people complain all over the place about battery lifetime
and you get lots of crashes.
My last one, a symbian phone, had the nice habit of rebooting right in
the middle of a phone call if it considered you are in a low memory
state. Sorry, these kind of "features" are not for me.

Mobile devices don't have virtual memory, and I tell you, it's just
nice to be able to test an App and then know, if it works in the test
environment, it will do so while being used. For exactly the reason that
you have background apps you get that on no other platform. Just can't
guarantee it.

I curse the fact that it doesn't have background processes quite often,
but I also know it's the single most important reason why this is the
first of the about 5 or 6 smartphones I've used that didn't suck.

> As for the fact that there are some iPhone streaming apps now, that
> doesn't change the fact that Apple can, and does, deny developers the
> right to publish apps to the iPhone App Store when Apple deems them to
> compete/overlap too much with Apple's own software. And the iPhones
> include remote kill switch software that lets Apple shut down software
> that's already been downloaded from the App Store. Apple could ban iPeng
> and remotely disable it on all iPhones tomorrow if they wanted to. Maybe
> Apple allows things like the Pandora app because they share Michael
> Robertson's belief that Pandora poses no threat to them, that Pandora is
> destined to be killed off by their SoundExchange royalty obligations
> (http://michaelrobertson.com/).
Well, I agree, that's the theory.
Practice is that there are even lots of Apps on the App Store that are
in clear violation of Apple's guidelines and don't get pulled. Pandora's
being one of them, btw.
gharris999;441698 Wrote:

> To me, the biggest drawback of the iPhone has nothing to do with
> SqueezeCenter control:  it's the necessity of having to jailbreak the
> phone in order to unlock it.  I'm keeping an old unlocked Nokia phone
> mothballed in anticipation of my next trip to Europe.  When my AT&T
> contract expires in a year, I'll ask AT&T to unlock my phone.  We'll see
> how far I get with that.

On your next trip to Europe, get an factory unlocked one from Italy or
France. They are free to be sold within the EU and you even get Apple's
warranty for them.

--
pippin

---