MeSue;442644 Wrote:
> Can anyone describe the Outlook sync situation with the iPhone/Touch? Is
> it reliable, and is it 2-way?
>
> I'm not interested in any device with a phone since I live in the
> boonies and just use a cheapie prepaid cell for $10/mo.
<rant>If I'm to be honest, I'd have to echo what others are saying here
concerning their distaste for iTunes.  On a Core2-quad machine with 4
gigs of memory and running vists64, it still feels like iTunes needs
very last resource the machine has to offer in order to do even
rudimentary tasks.  And god help you if you need to sync in a hurry.
The obligatory backup of the iThing that iTunes enforces during syncing
still seems glacial, even after Apple allegedly addressed this issue.
iTunes is an app that will teach you patience.</rant>

Re Outlook:  The above complaints aside, Outlook integration works
well, in my experience with both a Touch and an iPhone.  Syncing is
two-way.  I like to keep my Outlook contacts categorized by keeping them
in sub-folders.  The iThing/iTunes respects this and allows you to
select all or a subset of folders to sync.  The same is true for
calendars.  The one area that seems to not work so well is Notes
syncing.  Any notes sub-folder organization that you may have in Outlook
gets squashed into a big, flat list on the iThing.  For me, this
effectively makes Notes syncing useless and means that I can't use this
feature at all.

I initially had real trouble syncing my calendar.  I think that this
was probably due to the fact that I had been nursing along the same
Outlook PST data file since Office 2k.  After I built a new PST,
imported my data and eliminated the archive.pst, the calendar syncing
started working perfectly.

Personally, the holy grail of syncing would be to find some way of
achieving perfect three-way syncing between the iThing, Outlook and
Gmail/Gcal.  I've dabbled a little in this, but it's still eluding me.

--
gharris999