A long time ago, well before sudo came to existence, I did, as root: "rm
-rf . /foobar" where I wanted "./foobar".
Oh well, homedir gone, ridiculed by colleagues etc.

- never work as root. never.
- always use "." to prepend your path when expressing relative paths
- prefer developing a small wrapper to often-used commands. " alias
rm='rm -i' " in your .bashrc (or equiv.) is a simple solution. Writing a
shell script called mybackup.sh or something is usually the way I go.

After my mishap, I had a colleague who shared with me his personal
trick: alias rm to his version of rm, which was in fact a "move" command
to a specific trash directory. The trash being emptied via cron every so
often.

In the specific case of backing up to USB, you could use the /etc/udev/
rules files to recognize the brand of bridge that gets connected, and if
this is the backup drive, then run a script:
- mount to a specific location, with specific rights,
- stat the filesystem,
- launch the backup as a specific user,
- auto-dismount at the end.

This is a bit stringent, as plugging the drive will automatically
command a long, uninterruptible process. Personally I prefer running a
custom command at will.

--
epoch1970