LukeS;447060 Wrote:
> I own a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo and SqueezeCenter runs painfully slow on
> it.  I can access files off the NAS fast but the ReadyNAS CPU does not
> have enough horsepower to run SqueezeCenter.  RAID backup is a must for
> my music library and I would rather not buy another set of harddrives,
> etc.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll repeat for the
1000th time:  RAID is _not_ a backup solution.  Somehow it's either
being sold as such by manufacturers or else consumers are jumping to
conclusions that because a RAID array can survive a disk failure, that
makes it a means of "backup".

RAID is designed to ensure continuous operation.  This is very much not
the same as data backup.  Imagine you have a website through which you
sell t-shirts.  Every hour that website is down, you lose money.
Imagine you have an office with 50 workers relying on a database server
for their business applications.  If that server goes down for an hour
you have 50 people standing around with their thumbs up their butts.  In
either case you need to do whatever you can to be sure you can come as
close to 100% uptime as possible and RAID is a part of that.  For a home
music server, I'd be willing to bet that being without tunes for a
couple hours wouldn't be a big deal.

There a still a lot of ways that you can lose all of your data on a
server with RAID.  Fire, flood, theft, a big fat brain fart that causes
you to accidentally delete all of your data, and at least a dozen other
ways that could destroy the data.  You still need a backup of some
kind.

> I was thinking to leave my music library on the NAS and build a small,
> low power, Intel Atom server with gigabit Ethernet to run the
> SqueezeCenter, maybe run windows home server on it.
>
> Has anyone done this?  Would an atom powered box run SqueezeCenter at a
> fast enough?  I am wondering if I will just be back where I started with
> the network slowing me down instead of the processor.

This should work, but I would avoid running Windows on the Atom
machine. Linux will be faster on the same hardware, plus I and others
have experienced some extreme slowness when SqueezeCenter running on
Windows accesses ReadyNAS files.  Nobody has ever really figured out
what the problem is - maybe just some kind of Windows networking
incompatibility with Linux running on the NAS.

Terabyte disk drives are really cheap these days, under $90, and a
terabyte will hold a lot of music in FLAC format, easily 2500-3000 CDs.
It would be a much simpler system to just place a large storage drive in
the Atom-based server, and have another similar drive in a USB enclosure
for backups.

--
JJZolx

Jim