AbMagFab;450141 Wrote:
> I am a SqueezeBox fan, and I prefer the open architecture of it.
>
> I also require the IR blaster capabilities to turn on/off my AV
> equipment when only using the SB.
>
> A friend of mine is asking which he should get.  Certainly money is an
> obvious con for Sonos, but are there any other pros/cons for the average
> consumer that you can think of?
>
> I'd like him to make the right decision for him, so any and all advice
> is welcomed!
>
> Thanks in advance!

I have always been of the opinion that one of the only reasons to buy
Sonos is if one doesn't have a wireless network or doesn't know how to
deal with one and doesn't mind paying extra so that one doesn't have to
deal with or learn how to setup WiFi.

As for me personally, Sonos can't deal with the size of my CD
collection.

Look at the Macintosh NMP, it is actually built by somebody else with
just a lighted Blue MacIntosh face plate. The point being is that people
who can't use PCs or wireless networks just want a box that they can
feed CDs. And because of the Blue face plate, it matches the rest of
their MacIntosh gear.

So if he is not going to be calling you every day with questions then
Squeezebox. If he can't handle it or doesn't even have a wifi network,
then maybe Sonos. YMMV.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Mains, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope
2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
House Portable: SB3, Audioengine A5
Ford Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
Ford Expedition: SB3, ToughBook