upstatemike;450276 Wrote:
> Not sure you got the list you requested...
>
> Slim Devices Pros:
> -Players have displays so every location can display what is playing.
> When off you get weather forcasts, stocks, etc. Can also display custom
> messages via Home Automation servers etc.
>
> -Players can operate from included IR remotes as well as optional RF
> controllers.
>
> -Open source means more rapid feature additions(but not necessarily
> rapid bug fixes).
>
> Slim Devices Cons:
> -No easy streaming of local sources (some limited streaming from server
> CD drive or Radio Shark device)
>
> -SB Receiver does not permit direct configuration of key network
> settings such as static IP address.
>
> -No amplified version. You can get to a similar place using small
> auto-turn on amps (I use a lot of AudioSource Amp 100s)but it is not as
> neat an installation. Powered Speakers are also an option but not as
> versatile as an integrated amp in the player.
>
> -SB Controller has significant startup delay when picked up from table
> (no delay if picked up from charging stand)
>
> -SB Controller has some issues roaming from one wireless access point
> to another.
>
> SONOS Pros:
> -No startup delay with touch screen controller
>
> -Local source inputs for streaming iPod, Home Automation announcements,
> AM/FM tuners, etc.
>
> -Version with built-in amp for very neat installation while retaining
> ability to use wide range of speakers.
>
> -Easier wireless setup with no roaming issues for wireless controller.
>
> -Controller GUI is somewhat better at managing groups of linked
> players.
>
> -Fewer bugs or broken features.
>
> SONOS Cons:
> -No option to use IR remotes (so no using a universal programmable
> remote)
>
> -Not open source so smaller feature set overall and new features are
> slow to appear.
>
> -No local display so need expensive wireless controllers to see what is
> playing. (Not sure if display stays on when touch screen controller is
> in the cradle)
>
> Non Issues:
> Both systems need a PC or Network Attached Storage to hold the music
> library. It does not matter if the interface runs from the storage
> device (SqueezeCenter) or one of the players (SONOS).
>
> -Both systems can reliably maintain playback synchronization across
> multiple zones when playing native file formats.

Sonos: expensive

Squeeze: way less expensive

"-Players have displays so every location can display what is playing.
When off you get weather forcasts, stocks, etc. Can also display custom
messages via Home Automation servers etc."

WRONG: SR (squeezebox receiver) does NOT have a display other than a
color LED.

"-Players can operate from included IR remotes as well as optional RF
controllers."

WRONG: SB (squeezebox) include IR. Transporter includes IR controller.

"-No easy streaming of local sources (some limited streaming from
server CD drive or Radio Shark device)"

WRONG: WTF is a "local source?" You put your music where the server can
find it. Might as well complain that Boom can't play a CD.

RIGHT: "-No amplified version. You can get to a similar place using
small auto-turn on amps (I use a lot of AudioSource Amp 100s)but it is
not as neat an installation. Powered Speakers are also an option but not
as versatile as an integrated amp in the player."

I'm sorry, I thought "line-level" was a universal concept. How many
speakers? Will it match my Kappa 9's?

DUH?: "-SB Controller has significant startup delay when picked up from
table (no delay if picked up from charging stand)"

I don't have an issue with 4 seconds from "saving my battery for you."

DUH?: "-No local display so need expensive wireless controllers to see
what is playing. (Not sure if display stays on when touch screen
controller is in the cradle)"

See Expensive above. I think this is just another Squeeze Pro.

pski