i havent had much time to do any additional intensive testing, but i
have been seeing a pattern - i _think_.

if sync breaks (much rarer now), then it does so when BOTH the
following conditions are met:
-> transitioning TO a vorbis file. higher bitrates seem to increase the
likelyhood of it happening.
-> my qnap's processor is _very_ busy doing something else, such as
accepting a large SMB transfer (~GB) from the network.

if i load the processor in the middle of a vorbis track, sync also
starts drifting audibly (i had 2 SBs right next to me on my desk for
testing). but it returns once the load drops again. however, if a song
transitions meanwile... see above.

the odd thing is, it still seems as if an MP3 file is required for sync
to return - even after the CPU load has dropped back to normal.

--
dcote