I used to think that of Twitter, too. I used to prefer Jaiku, too (it
still has better features), however, it's not the personal tweets that
make Twitter useful, it's the real-time information. Look up what it did
during the Iranian election, or keep an eye on the trending topics for
news that breaks faster than any media (old or new) can publish.
The masturbatory personal messages are not what define it as a useful
tool (even though 85% of my tweets are of that sort).
Head on over to TechCrunch.com and see how many articles are written
about it to get an idea of its importance on the 'net right now.

--
JadeMonkee

2x squeezebox classics {1x via switch | 1x via wifi} + 2x squeezebox
booms {via wifi}
squeezecentre v7.3.3 on 'readynas duo'
(http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22) {raidiator 4.1.6 |
1gb hynix hymd512m646cfp8-j | 2x 1tb samsung hd103uj}
d-link dir-655 + d-link dgs-1008d switch