aubuti;459509 Wrote:
> Some people shutdown, or at least suspend, their computers for a variety
> of reasons. Noise is one, energy consumption is another. Or the server
> is a laptop that one person takes out of the house from time to time,
> leaving others with only SN. I'm fine leaving my SC server on, although
> I prefer to use the SrvrPowerCtrl plugin to suspend it when my players
> are idle, and wake it up via WOL. But some people want to turn the
> computer off.

If I were a Logitech designer, right now I would be working on two
further devices:

DEDICATED SQUEEZECENTER/SBS \"SERVER\"[/B]
A BASIC DUAL DRIVE NAS USING RAID 1 \"MIRRORING\" WITH ENOUGH
PROCESSING POWER AND MEMORY TO RUN SBS COMFORTABLY AND QUICKLY.  IT
SHOULD COME PRE-INSTALLED WITH TWO BIG HARD DRIVES. MOST IMPORTANTLY,
THE NAS FIRMWARE AND SBS SOFTWARE WILL BE PRE-INSTALLED ON FLASH MEMORY
SO THAT A HARD DISK FAILURE IS EASILY RECTIFIED.  THE DRIVES COULD BE
MOUNTED ON SIMPLE SLIDE-IN CADDIES AND LOGITECH COULD SELL REPLACEMENT
DRIVES PRE-MOUNTED INTO CADDIES.  A REBUILD OF THE RAID SHOULD BE
AUTOMATIC WHEN A NEW DRIVE IS ADDED.

THIS SHOULD NOT TRY AND REPLICATE ALL THE FUNCTIONALITY OF, FOR
INSTANCE, THE VORTEXBOX. IT DOES NOT NEED A CD/DVD DRIVE OR RIPPING
SOFTWARE.  AS ANYBODY WHO HAS BEEN DOING DIGITAL MUSIC FOR A DECENT
LENGTH OF TIME, THERE ARE FAR TOO MANY MUSIC SOURCES, MUSIC TYPES, FILE
TYPES AND META DATA FORMATS TO CATER FOR EVERYBODY. IT SHOULD SIMPLY BE
A REPOSITORY FOR THE USER'S MUSIC COLLECTION WITH THE SOLE FUNCTION OF
RELIABLY RUNNING SBS 24/7.

IT NEEDS TO BE AS SMALL AS POSSIBLE AND HAVE VERY LOW POWER CONSUMPTION
AND SOUND OUTPUT AND DESIGNED TO BE LEFT ON 24/7.  IF THEY WANT TO BE
REALLY INNOVATIVE, LOGITECH COULD BUILD IT USING 2.5\" MOBILE DRIVES SO
THAT IT CAN BE EVEN SMALLER AND LOWER POWER THAN MOST CURRENT NAS
DEVICES.

*DEDICATED SQUEEZEBOX WAP
A cheap and cheerful WAP that is there simply to provide a wireless
connection to the player(s).  It would be designed for maximum
compatibility and reliability when used with SqueezeBox players.  The
default setup should be to run alongside a user's current wireless
router or WAP giving a dedicated music network. A sort of open source
version of the Sonos network.

The [b]main* point of these devices will be that they are fully
compatible with all SBS functions (and as many plug-ins as possible), it
would be designed for reliability and - most important of all - backed
by Logitech support and a strong guarantee.

Everything would be pre-installed and as close to "plug and play" as
Logitech can make it.  Only when digital music is as simple as "plug it
in and turn it on" will networked music systems such as SqueezeBox
become more widely accepted.

--
TheLastMan

Matt

SB Duet (Controller + two receivers)
Synology Diskstation 107+ with FW 2.0-0844
SqueezeCenter 7.3.3 on Synology Package Manager
Netgear DG834GT wireless ADSL modem/router
Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers in living room.
Denon DM37 mini-system, B&W 686 speakers in kitchen.
LPs ripped using Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap, Behringer UCA202.