I think I may know what the issue is.
I downloaded a utility called 'hdtune' (http://www.hdtune.com/) (the
free version - not "pro")
My server has one IDE hard drive in two partitions (boot is in a
small-ish partition, the rest storage, plus a SATA 1TB and a SATA
1.5TB.
When I run hdtune, the IDE drive shows avg transfer rates of ~60MB/sec,
whereas all the SATA drives show in the 2MB/sec range.
Yow!
Why did I have a speed issue with 7.4 but not 7.3? I dunno. Maybe 7.3
did everything but streaming from a cache and 7.4 uses the music drives
a bit more.
I've got a PCI SATA adapter (and the m'board's got two "legacy" PCI
slots) but the board won't boot with the adapter plugged in if there's a
drive attached to the adapter.
Ah well, time for an atom m'board (or maybe via nano, if I can find one
that supports more than two drives attached).
Thanks for all the help!

--
bobkoure