This is my approach, too, for the same reason coupled with my perfect
contentment with iTunes' tagging and cataloguing, which therefore
disqualifies FLAC. AIFF retains tags, as you suggest.

I've found no issues apart from disc space, unless you intend to use a
wireless network and your signal is less than perfect, in which case
you may find you get a significant amount of dropping out depending on
how bad the signal is, and possibly how quick the machine on which
you're running SqueezeCenter is. You may find that you need to use
either bridging (Airport Extreme to Airport Express or equivalents;
then ethernet connection from Airport Express to SB - incredibly easy
to set up) or else ethernet throughout. I am now using the latter
using ethernet over mains (Homeplug) which works superbly even on very
ancient and chaotic mains wiring. iPeng control is still via Airport.

The disc space issue matters only when using iPods. I've recently got
round that by making a separate library specifically for iPod use,
consisting only of ALAC and iTunes+ AAC. It seems to work.
Squeezecenter uses the main library and now therefore shows only AIFF
and a few ALAC files I haven't got round to converting yet.

Hope that helps.