JJZolx;479256 Wrote:
> Google running ethernet cabling, though.  There's a lot of online info,
> and you'll find that you can easily do it yourself.  Use solid core
> cable and punch the ends into wall jacks and/or patch panels at either
> end.
If you decide to do this yourself, invest in a decent IDC punch-down
tool. Don't try and use one of those plastic things that you can buy for
pennies.

One other comment regarding ethernet switches. Be aware that it is
possible to encounter chipset incompatibilities. I once spent ages
trying to figure out why my Squeezebox Receiver wouldn't connect over
ethernet. In the end I swapped out one switch for another brand, and the
SBR immediately connected. The switch itself works fine with other
devices, but just refused to talk to the SBR.

I've also seen a switch refuse to connect to a device it had previously
worked with until it was power-cycled (presumably some stored data got
corrupted and a reboot of the switch reset everything). But I don't want
to imply switches are forever going wrong - we're talking about two
weird experiences with cheap switches in about a decade of use. In
general they are probably one of the most dependable bits of IT hardware
around.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A