I had the same issue, and ultimately determined it was network driven.
I had a mix of hard-wired, wireless, and powerline connections,
including a powerline "hop" from the router to my PC. It was an
occasional problem that became unmanageable when I upgraded to 7.3.x

I eliminated all the powerline connections and moved the PC next to the
router, along with my main SB3 and a SBR.  I still have two SB3s using
WiFi, but both have very strong (>90%) signal strength.  Since I adopted
this setup several months ago I've had no problems with players getting
out-of-sync, rebuffering, etc.

--
GeeJay