I was using Squeezecenter on an old laptop hooked up to WD external
drive - the music was served to two Squeezeboxes - the first generation
wireless and the second generation wireless.

A hardware freakout has caused my external WD to be unusable/unreadable
by any of my machines.  As such, I will have to re-rip all of my music.
I will take this as a chance to re-rip into a higher bit rate (FLAC
lossless I think) than I did the first time around and house the music
in a dedicated music server with backup capability.

Three options I am considering for a dedicated music server:

VortexBox 1 or 2TB appliance
XIVA MusicM8
Olive Opus 4

My questions -

1.   if I use any of these, can my existing Squeezeboxes link to these
servers to serve music in different rooms?
2.  if music is ripped to these servers, can it be exported to a
portable (iPod ) device directly or does it have to go through a PC
3.  has anyone in the Slimdevices community had experience with these
devices?

Thanks

--
mass_biker